Friday, May 18, 2007

The Fratellis

The Fratellis make awesome music - period. One of those bands that i instantly liked when i heard em.

I first read about them in BRIT Awards nomination. I have to say i have a proclivity for british bands, i don't know why. Is that a general Indian thing? I don't know.

I then heard them in the ipod ad, You have to admire Apple, they are always a step ahead in their products as well as their ads. It was such a catchy tune, so i went looking for their album costello music and it did not disappoint me...

Immediately liked Whistle for the choir, with lines like "Can never be too pretty, tell me your name" and "Oh me Oh my, You talk - I die, You laugh - I cry". Fantastic, pretty girl - loser boy song. Love the whistling in the song too. I like songs which i can understand, and i have to confess there are many songs which don't make sense to me at all. For example for the longest time i thought Losing my religion was something about faith, until i heard in an interview Michael stripe saying that he wanted to write a love song to top Stings "Every breath you take"!!!! It is still one of my favs, which reinforces my belief, you don't have to understand meaning to really like a song.

Of course there is the most famous of the album Flathead which everyone in the US now seems to know thanks to Apple. I am such a sucka for things like "Para pa pa pa para para" in a song.

Chelsea Dagger seems to be the most popular in the UK, with soccer fans adopting it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_dagger

Another fav is For the girl for its racy guitars, i again am partial to guitars more than anything.

Overall a very catchy album, defly check it out. Looks like these guys are here to stay, they know how to make songs that grabs you and keeps you hooked.


No comments: